Careers in Public Service
We believe that there is no “one true path” to a career in public service.
You are embarking on an exciting journey. Whether you are interested in learning about public interest, government, or human rights law for a summer position, for an internship, or as a step on your career path, there is a lot to learn and a large array of options to explore.
We’re here to help.
The public interest job search process can be overwhelming. SJI is available to work closely with you and provide support and advice through individual one-on-one advising, group information sessions, year-round public interest programming, and the resources on this website.
SJI’s staff, including Columbia graduates around the country, will use its wide range of professional public interest experience and expertise to:
Advise you regarding
- summer internships at public interest organizations both in the U.S. and abroad
- term-time internships
- crafting a carefully tailored individual plan to prepare for your career
- postgraduate opportunities including fellowships and permanent jobs
- and much more
- resume reviews and mock interviews
- pro bono and externship opportunities
- online job search resources
- conversations with a wide variety of public service lawyers
- and much more
Whether your ultimate career is in the public or private sector (or will include both), we are here to help you chart a rewarding path that includes public service and reflects your personal passions, interests, talents and values.
Public Interest Careers