Toshiba Library for Japanese Legal Research
The Toshiba Library for Japanese Legal Research is located on the second floor of the Arthur W. Diamond Law Library. It houses more than 32,000 volumes, and maintains one of the most comprehensive Japanese law collections outside of Japan. It holds approximately 16,600 monographic titles, and 537 serial titles including 293 current subscriptions.
The library subscribes to three online legal databases of legislative materials, indexes to cases and periodical articles, full-text journal articles and full-text cases covering the period from the end of the 19th century to the present. It also houses the private collections of two former Supreme Court Justices, Justice Jiro Tanaka and Justice Itsuo Sonobe, as well as the private collection of Professor Koichi Kikuta, an emeritus professor of Meiji University in Tokyo. The library is particularly strong in corporations law, securities and finance law, administrative law and criminal law.
Accessing the Collections
Researchers who are not affiliated with the university who wish to come to the Toshiba Library may submit their requests by e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org, or by telephone 212-854-4193.
The same services are available for the Toshiba Library collections as are available for the rest of the Law Library. Pegasus, the Law Library’s online catalog, can be used to search the collection. Among the titles in Pegasus, about 40 percent of the monographs and serials are located in the open stack areas, and the remaining 60 percent are in storage or in the closed stack area, available upon request.
The Law Library's fee-based document delivery service is also available for the Japanese law collections, as is our interlibrary loan participation, 212-854-3744.
At present, only a small part of this collection is in the open stack area. The rest, including materials with considerable historical value, such as a complete set of Kenpo Chosakai material, Meiji Constitution material edited by Hirobumi Ito, and treatises by Nobushige Hozumi, Shigeto Hozumi, and Tatsukichi Minobe, are housed in a closed stack area in the School of International and Public Affairs building. These materials may be viewed only in the Law Library.
The main, 3rd Floor Reference Desk of the Arthur W. Diamond Law Library answers questions regarding the Japanese law collections, and can be reached at 212-854-3743. If further assistance is needed, questions may be submitted to the curator by email to email@example.com, by telephone at 212-854-4193, or in person at the curator’s office, Room 216C.