This Agreement outlines the general guidelines for your contributions and the terms of our relationship.
(1) Your Responsibilities as a Contributing Author
• You agree to write and submit to us 1 article per month on the topic of adoption, life as an adoptive mom, and juggling work, family and your daily routine. We’ve found that articles that combine personal experience and a unique author voice with some helpful tips work best for our audience.
• You agree to submit your articles using our online submission form, found here: www.xxx.com
• Your articles should be a minimum of 350 words in length but feel free to vary the length from one to another.
• You agree to adhere to the [Publication] Editorial Guidelines, which are included with this Agreement. By signing this Agreement you agree to indemnify [Publication] against any third-party claims arising from any type of breach of the Editorial Guidelines.
• You agree to properly attribute any links or content that you include in your articles, in accordance with our Editorial Guidelines.
• You agree to regularly monitor comments to your articles and respond appropriately.
• While this is not a requirement, we’d appreciate it if you linked to your articles on xxx.com from your personal blog to invite your readers to post their reactions, thoughts, and responses.
• Please invoice us for your articles by emailing an invoice to xxx.com.
(2) [Publication] Responsibilities Subject to your compliance with the terms outlined in this Agreement, [Publication] agrees to the following: • [Publication] will pay you $50 per article, to be paid by check during the third week of the month following your contributions. (E.g. You submit an article in February and you get paid for it during the third week of March.) • If you do not fulfill your responsibilities for any two months within a 12-month period,[Publication]reserves the right to terminate this Agreement immediately. (3) Content Ownership • You retain the copyright to the content you submit to [Publication]. • You agree to grant to [Publication] the following perpetual, royalty-free, fully paid-up rights for all of your articles written for [Publication]:
• Exclusive worldwide rights to (1) publish, distribute and publicly display your articles online, at xxx.com or other third-party websites and publications with whom [Publication] enters into a content distribution arrangement; (2) excerpt your articles online at xxx.com or in our newsletter, for any purpose; (3) include your articles in our online archive or database for the period of 6 months from the original publication date of your article.
• After the exclusive period, non-exclusive fully paid-up worldwide rights to (1) publish, distribute and publicly display your articles online, at xxx.com or other third-party websites and publications with whom [Publication] enters into a content distribution arrangement; (2) excerpt your articles online at xxx.com or in our newsletter, for any purpose; (3) include your articles in our online archive or database.
(4) Termination of This Agreement • You or [Publication] may terminate this Agreement at any time by giving the other party a written 30 day notice. [Publication] reserves the right to terminate this Agreement without notice and remove your column from xxx.com in the event that we determine that you have posted content that is described as inappropriate in our Editorial Guidelines. • Shall this Agreement be terminated for any reason by either you or [Publication]the stipulations outlined in the Content Ownership section of this Agreement shall survive in perpetuity.
(5) No Employment with [Publication] • You hereby agree that you are acting as an independent contractor and not as an employee or agent of [Publication] and that you have no authority to bind [Publication] to any obligations. You will be solely responsible for all federal, state and local taxes and other governmental charges in connection with payments you receive from [Publication] for your work. You will not be entitled to participate in any benefit or insurance plan provided by [Publication] for its employees and you agree not to make any claim for unemployment insurance in connection with the termination of your working relationship with [Publication].
(6) Confidentiality • You hereby agree to keep confidential this Agreement and its contents, including, but not limited to, your payment amount and any other specific details contained herein.
(7) Other Conditions • This Agreement contains the entire and complete understanding between us and supersedes any previous oral or written agreements with respect to your role as a Contributing Columnist to [Publication]. This Agreement is made in and will be governed by the laws of this State. This Agreement can only be altered by mutual agreement and written consent from you and [Publication]!
• This Agreement will inure to the benefit of [Publication] and its successors and assigns. This Agreement (and all rights contained and contemplated within it) may be assigned by W[Publication]without your consent.
Please sign this Agreement in the space below and mail it to: xxx Co-Founder & CEO [Publication]