Exams on Notebook Computers
Columbia Law School (CLS) offers students the option of using a notebook computer to take in-class proctored exams (essay-type only).
In order to use a notebook computer to take exams, students will be asked to download and install a software application called SofTest.
- SofTest is offered and supported by ExamSoft and was carefully selected by the law school’s Registration Services department as the official exam software at CLS. You may not use any other software to take CLS exams during the 2014/2015 academic year.
- SofTest is available for IBM-compatible notebook computers running English versions of Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8, and Apple Macintosh.
- SofTest does NOT run on software emulators such as Virtual PC, Parallels, or VMware Fusion.
- SofTest does NOT support non-English versions of Windows.
- Students who fail to meet any of the aforementioned requirement(s) must handwrite their exams.
The current version of SofTest does not require floppy disks. Students download the exam file(s) and submit their answer file(s) via the Internet. You will need an Internet connection to download the exam file(s) (prior to arriving in the exam room) and to upload your answer file(s) at the end of the exam in the exam room.
In order to connect to the Internet in the exam room, you are required to register your Ethernet card in LawNet prior to the exam.
Please make sure to take the necessary precautions to secure your computer (please see reverse side). If your computer becomes infected at any point, you may lose access to the Internet until you clean up your laptop. This can take days, endanger your personal documents; or require you to reformat your hard-drive and re-install your operating system and all your applications from scratch.
There are some steps you must take to ensure that your notebook computer will be ready for exams:
- Your notebook computer must meet or exceed the hardware and software requirements
- You must take the necessary steps to secure your computer
- You must perform each and every one of the steps listed in the exam checklist
Please visit the Registration Services exam page, to learn more about exam schedules, exam instructions, and procedures for final exams at Columbia Law School.