Human Rights Institute
The Human Rights Institute serves as the focal point of international human rights education, scholarship and practice at Columbia Law School. The Institute currently focuses on a number of key themes, and, throughout the year, hosts a wide array of symposia, lectures, and other events to bring practitioners and scholars together.
- HRI's Nathalie Weizmann's new post on Just Security asks "Questions That Should be Asked About Seal Team 6 and the Laws of War".
- Human Rights Institute Symposium to Explore Opportunities in the Inter-American System for Advancing Human Rights at Home
- Congratulations to our inaugural Human Rights Institute Commendation for Leadership and Commitment in Human Rights - Alison Borochoff-Porte ’15, Douglas Cantwell ’15, Bassam Khawaja ’15, and Stephanie Persson ’15!
- HRI is co-hosting the fifth annual Teaching Business and Human Rights Workshop on May 18 and 19. This annual workshop brings together faculty from universities around the country and internationally, to share cross-disciplinary strategies for teaching business and human rights.
- Profile of Columbia Law Human Rights student Bassam Khawaja '15, next year's Leonard H. Sandler Fellow at Human Rights Watch.
- Human rights and civil liberties organizations call on the Obama Administration to publicly acknowledge and investigate targeted killings and drone strikes.
- Sarah Knuckey, Balqees Mihirig, Bassam Khawaja and Surya Gopalan identify 10 more strikes that the Obama Administration should acknowledge and investigate.
- Registration for our June 12, 2015 CLE/Symposium on Engaging with the Inter-American Human Rights System for US Advocacy is now open!
- Human Rights Clinic Travels to Peru to Support Communities Defending their Environment from Mining Risks
- Human Rights Clinic assists in win for transparency & justice regarding violent repression of protests at site of proposed mine in Peru.
- This week, Professor Sarah Knuckey is at the UN in Geneva to speak at an expert meeting on Lethal Autonomous Weapons Systems.
- Professor Sarah Knuckey and Bassam Khawaja '15 join Columbia University-Wide Team in Trainings with Myanmar Professors.
- Columbia Law students Alison Borochoff-Porte ’15, Anna Marie Bulman ’15 LL.M., and Holly Stubbs ’15 awarded Leebron Human Rights Fellowships.
- Human Rights Clinic student Surya Gopalan LLM ’15 reflects on his experience engaging with technology & human rights experts in the Philippines.
- Columbia announces the Herbert & Nell Singer Social Justice Fellowship - applications due April 27.
- HRI's Privacy in the Digital Age series features two events about privacy and surveillance two years after Snowden leaks.
- Call for papers for Columbia Human Rights Law Review and HRI symposium on Human Rights and the ‘Forever War’.
- Professor Sarah Cleveland and other foreign and comparative law experts file amicus brief addressing the comparative approach of countries that legally protect same-sex marraige in SCOTUS same-sex marriage case.
- The Human Rights Institute welcomes international human rights practitioner Amal Clooney as Visiting Faculty & Institute Senior Fellow.
- Human Rights in the U.S. Project Attorney Erin Foley Smith testifies at NY City Council Meeting on Need to Strengthen Commission on Human Rights.
- Columbia Law School Human Rights Clinic Students meet with U.S. State Department and UN Diplomatic Representatives to discuss United States’ human rights record.
- The Human Rights Institute & NYU Center for Human Rights & Global Justice ask what steps U.S. is taking to compensate victims of CIA torture in accordance with the Convention Against Torture.
- Congratulations to the Human Rights Law Review & Jailhouse Lawyers' Manual 2015-2016 Administrative Board!
- New book edited by HRI faculty co-director Sarah Knuckey explores drone strike debates.
More News and Features