Human Rights Institute
The Human Rights Institute serves as the focal point of international human rights education, scholarship and practice at Columbia Law School. The Institute currently focuses on a number of key themes, and, throughout the year, hosts a wide array of symposia, lectures, and other events to bring practitioners and scholars together.
- Take a look at the recently launched book, Global Urban Justice: the rise of human rights cities, with contributions by HRI Associate Director, JoAnn Ward.
- HRI Associate Director, JoAnn Ward, on human rights developments at the state and local level in the United States.
- Facutly co-director and U.N. Human Rights Committee member, Sarah Cleveland, on the Committee's recent finding that Ireland’s Abortion Ban is a violation of human rights.
- Human Rights Clinic partner receives the 2016 IAIA’s Institutional Award for their human rights impact work on mining in the DRC, a collaboration with the Columbia Center on Sustainable Investment.
- HRI and the Human Rights Clinic invite applications for a Legal Fellow on human rights, counterterrorism, and armed conflict.
- Facutly co-director Sarah Cleveland debates the idea of a world court for human rights at recent Oxford Martin School event.
- Faculty co-director Sarah Cleveland Moderates Briefing for UN Legal Advisers on Extending the Jurisdiction of the International Criminal Court.
- Human Rights Clinic alum, Bassam Khawaja JD '15, on the right to an education for children with disabilities during war.
- Faculty Co-Director Sarah Knuckey and SFM Project Director, Tony Wilson, discuss the unreported struggles of indigenous peoples.
- How Amal Clooney, a senior fellow at HRI, came to represent former Maldives President Mohamed Nasheed.
- HRI mourns human rights leader Michael Ratner.
- Can respect and inclusion be taught in law schools? Columbia Law Human Rights Fellow Gulika Reddy, LLM ’16, makes recommendations for countering discrimination through legal institutions in her recent blog post.
- Columbia Law School Human Rights Clinic travels to Geneva to support redrafting of UN Protocol on the investigation of killings, students work with leading international law and forensics experts.
- Erin Smith, Project Attorney for the Human Rights in the U.S. Project, outlines the relevance of U.N. reviews of U.S. human rights to state and local governments.
- Registration is open for the Bringing Human Rights Home Lawyers' Network June 24th CLE/symposium:"Engaging with UN Special Procedures to Advance U.S. Social Justice."
- The Human Right to Legal Representation in Immigration Proceedings by Human Rights Clinic Student Keerthana Nimmala.
- Human Rights Institute joins NGOs in urging five principles to guide US implementation of the Sustainable Development Goals.
- Ahead of screening of Rabbit Proof Fence at the Columbia Law Faculty Film Series, Hannah Canham LLM ’16 provides background to the film and on Australia's "Stolen Generations".
- Human Rights Clinic student Candy Ofime discusses the “Palestine exception to free speech” in US academic institutions.
- Human Rights Clinic student Anjli Parrin on ICC dismissal of the case against Kenya's William Ruto and Joshua Sang.
- Columbia Law School Human Rights Institute Seeks Summer Research Assistants and Interns.
- HRI Associate Director of Human Rights in the U.S. project, JoAnn Kamuf Ward, on Utilizing the Unique Tools of the Inter-American Commission to advance human rights.
- Illinois Attorney General Lisa Madigan Discusses How Human Rights Issues Influence Her Work at an Event Co-sponsored by HRI.
- The Human Rights Institute is co-counsel representing Human Rights Watch in an amicus brief in J.E.F.M. v. Lynch, on the right to appointed counsel for child migrants.
More News and Features