- J.D., Columbia Law School, 1989
- B.A., University of Notre Dame, 1984
Curtis J. Milhaupt
Curtis J. Milhaupt
Curtis J. Milhaupt is the Parker Professor of Comparative Corporate Law and Fuyo Professor of Japanese Law at Columbia Law School. He also serves as the Law School's director of the Parker School of Foreign and Comparative Law and director of the Center for Japanese Legal Studies. He is also a member of Columbia University’s Weatherhead East Asian Institute.
Milhaupt’s research and teaching interests include the legal systems of east Asia (particularly Japan), comparative corporate governance, law and economic development, and state capitalism. In addition to numerous scholarly articles, he has co-authored or edited seven books, including U.S. Corporate Law, Yuhikaku, 2009 (in Japanese); Law and Capitalism: What Corporate Crises Reveal about Legal Systems and Economic Development around the World, University of Chicago Press, 2008; and Transforming Corporate Governance in East Asia, Routledge Press, 2008. His research has been profiled in The Economist, the Financial Times, and The Wall Street Journal, and has been widely translated.
Milhaupt lectures regularly at universities and think tanks around the world. Representative appointments include Visiting Professor at Tsinghua University, Paul Hastings Visiting Professor in Corporate and Financial Law at Hong Kong University, and Erasmus Mundus Fellow in Law and Economics at the University of Bologna. He was named Teacher of the Year in 2012 and 2010 at the Duisenberg School of Finance, University of Amsterdam, where he teaches annually. Milhaupt has been a member of several international project teams focused on policy issues in Asia, including one charged with designing an “institutional blueprint” for a unified Korean peninsula.
Prior to entering academia, Milhaupt practiced corporate law in New York and Tokyo with a major law firm.
He holds a J.D. from Columbia Law School and a B.A. from the University of Notre Dame. He also conducted graduate studies in law and international relations at the University of Tokyo.
- Law and Capitalism: What Corporate Crises Reveal about Legal Systems and Economic Development around the World, (with Katharina Pistor), University of Chicago Press, 2008
- Economic Organizations and Corporate Governance in Japan: The Impact of Formal and Informal Rules, (with Mark D. West), Oxford University Press, 2004
- Transforming Corporate Governance in East Asia, Routledge Press, 2008
- The Japanese Legal System: Cases, Codes, and Commentary, (with J. Mark Ramseyer and Mark D. West), Foundation Press, 2010 (2nd edition)
- Global Markets, Domestic Institutions: Corporate Law and Governance in a New Era of Cross-Border Deals, Columbia University Press, 2003
- Japanese Law in Context: Readings in Society, the Economy and Politics, (with J. Mark Ramseyer and Michael K. Young), Harvard University Asia Center, Harvard University Press, 2001
- “We are the (National) Champions: Understanding the Mechanism of State Capitalism in China,” Stanford Law Review, forthcoming, 2013
- “Economically Benevolent Dictators: Lessons for Developing Democracies,” (with Ronald J. Gilson), 59 American Journal of Comparative Law 227, 2011
- “Evolution of Hostile Takeover Regimes in Developed and Emerging Markets: An Analytical Framework,” (with JohnArmour, John and Jack B. Jacobs), 52, Harvard International Law Journal 219, 2011
- “Reputational Sanctions in China's Securities Market,” (with Benjamin Liebman), Columbia Law Review, 2008
- “Sovereign Wealth Funds and Corporate Governance: A Minimalist Response to the New Merchantilism,” (with Ronald Gilson), Stanford Law Review, 2008
- “In the Shadow of Delaware? The Rise of Hostile Takeovers in Japan,” 105 Columbia Law Review 2171, 2005
- “Choice as Regulatory Reform: The Case of Japanese Corporate Governance,” (with Ronald J. Gilson), 53 American Journal of Comparative Law 343, 2005
- “Nonprofit Organizations as Investor Protection: Economic Theory, and Evidence from East Asia,” 29 Yale Journal of International Law 169, 2004
- “Re-Examining Legal Transplants: The Director's Fiduciary Duty in Japanese Corporate Law,” (with Hideki Kanda), 51 American Journal of Comparative Law 887, 2003
View an extended list of Curtis J. Milhaupt’s publications: