Climate Change Considerations in Environmental Impact Statements
Federal and State EIS Databases
One of SCCCL's major recent projects has been a systematic analysis of how the Environmental Impact Statements (EISs) required under NEPA, and under state law NEPA analogs, treat the issue of climate change. We have compiled several databases of climate change considerations in EISs, accompanied by written reports summarizing our findings.
Survey of Climate Change Considerations in Federal EISs, 2012-2014
- Report: Jessica Wentz, Grant Glovin, and Adrian Ang, Survey of Climate Change Considerations in Federal Environmental Impact Statements, 2012-2014 (Feb. 2016)
- Excel database: Climate change considerations in federal EISs (covers the period August 1, 2012 - December 31, 2014)
Survey of Climate Change Considerations in Federal EISs, 2009-2012
- Report: Patrick Woolsey, White Paper on the Consideration of CLimate Change in Federal EISs, 2009-2011 (July 2012)
- Excel database:Climate change considerations in federal EISs (covers the period January 1, 2009 to July 31, 2012)
- Matrix summarizing the impacts discussed in the EISs for this survey.
Survey of Water-Related Issues in Federal EISs, 2012
- Report: Cathi Li, Discussion of Climate Change-Related Water Impacts in Federal Environmental Impact Statements (EISs), January-September 2012 (March 2013)
- Excel database: Detailing the extent to which federal agencies address topics related to water and climate change in 149 EISs (covers the period January 1 to September 30, 2012)
Survey of Climate Change Considerations in California EIRs, 2009-2010
- Excel database: climate change considerations in Environmental Impact Reports submitted under the California Environmental Quality Act (covers the period from July 1, 2009 - July 7, 2010).
Recommended Additional Resources