Climate Change Laws of South Korea
South Korea Country Profile (World Bank)
Status under International Climate Change Law
- UNFCCC: signature and acceptance (Dec 1993)
- KP: signature and approval (8 Nov 2002)
- Quantified emission limitation or reduction commitment: na
- Vienna Convention: accession (27 Feb 1992)
- Montreal Protocol: accession (27 Feb 1992)
- LRTAP: N/A
- Energy Charter conference: observer by invitation
- Energy Efficiency Protocol: N/A
- Espoo Convention: N/A
- 2030 Commitment: 37% reduction below BAU by 2030.
- INDC summary - includes LULUCF and gases covered (Center for Climate and Energy Solutions 2015)
- INDC summary - includes adaptation and conditions for implementation (Climate Policy Observer 2016)
Laws on Climate Change
- Framework Act on Low Carbon, Green Growth (2010) (Korean, English) to promote the development of the national economy by laying the foundation for low carbon, green growth and by utilizing green technology and green industries as new engines for growth
- Act on the Allocation and Trading of Greenhouse gas Emission Permits (2012) (Korean, English) to achieve national targets for reducing greenhouse gas effectively by introducing a system for trading greenhouse-gas emission permits through market mechanisms
- Clean Air Conservation Act (1990) (Korean, English) to prevent air pollution
- Energy Act (2006) (Korean, English) to contribute to the sustainable development of the national economy and enhancement of the welfare of citizens by providing for basic matters concerning the formulation and implementation of energy policies and energy-related plans to realize a stable, efficient and environment-friendly energy demand and supply structure
- Act on the Promotion of the Development, Use and Diffusion of New and Renewable Energy (2011 (Korean, English) to contribute to the preservation of the environment, the sound and sustainable development of the national economy, and the promotion of national welfare by diversifying energy sources
Forests and Land Use
Act on Special Cases Concerning The Acquisition of Lands for Public Use and the Compensation for Their Loss (2002) (English)
Public Land Reservation Act (2009) (English)
Act on the Management and Improvement of Carbon Sink (2013) (Korean, English)
Framework Act on Forestry (2001) (Korean, English)
Forest Protection Act (2009) (Korean, English)
- Framework Act on Environmental Policy 1990 (Korean, English) to get all the people to enjoy healthy and pleasant lives by preventing the environmental pollution and environmental damages and by managing and preserving environment in a proper and sustainable manner
- Sustainable Development Act 2007 (Korean, English) to ensure that present and future generations enjoy a better quality of life, by accomplishing sustainable development and participating in international efforts to implement sustainable development
National Plans, Programs and Initiatives
- South Korea Profile (Climate Action Tracker) (2015)
- South Korea and Climate Change (Center for Climate and Energy Solutions) (2015)
- White Paper on Environmental Issues (Ministry of Environment) (2013)
- South Korea's climate change laws (Climate Home) (2013)
- Lee Tae-hoon, 2012. Korea to Lead Global Green Endeavor. Korea Times, 10 May 2012.
- Meeyoung Cho, 2012. South Korea Approves Carbon Trading Scheme. Reuters, 2 May 2012. [URL: http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/05/02/us-carbon-korea-idUSBRE8410TN20120502]. Accessed 10 April 2014.
- O'Donnell, Jill Kosch, 2012. Three Hurdles for Emissions Trading Scheme, ROK Green Growth Quarterly Update I - 2012. Council on Foreign Relations Website [URL: http://www.cfr.org/south-korea/three-hurdles-emissions-trading-scheme/p28570]. Accessed 9 April 2014.
- Tae young Jung, Jae Eun Ah, Domestic Policies for Climate Change: Republic of Korea, The Asia Climate Change Policy Forum, Oct 26-27, 2010. [URL: https://crawford.anu.edu.au/accpforum/pdf/ppp/8_Jung.pdf]. Accessed April 9, 2014
- Chang min Yoo, South Korea Steams ahead, Global Carbon(2012 Autumn), pp 16-17 [URL: http://about.bnef.com/white-papers/south-koreas-emissions-trading-scheme/]. Accessed 9 April 2014.
- Ministry of Government Legislation, n.d. Korean Laws in English [URL: http://www.moleg.go.kr/english/korLawEng]. Accessed 9 April 2014.
- Reuters, 2011. Update 2 - Reuters Summit-S.Korea's CO2 Trade Bill Receives Bipartisan Backing. [URL: http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/06/15/energy-summit-korea-idUSL3E7HF0VV20110615]. Accessed 9 April 2014.
- Reuters, 2011. S. Korea Sets 2012 Cut Volume for Industry, Power [URL: http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/10/10/emission-korea-idUSL3E7LA02X20111010]. Accessed 9 April 2014.
Summaries of legislation compiled from Terry Townsend et al., The GLOBE Climate Legislation Study (3d ed. 2013).
Updated as of: April 9, 2014