Climate Change Laws of the Federated States of Micronesia
Federated States of Micronesia Country Profile (World Bank)
Status under International Climate Change Law
- UNFCCC: signature (12 June 1992), ratification (18 Nov 1993)
- KP: signature (17 Mar 1998), ratification (21 June 1999)
o Quantified emission limitation or reduction commitment: NA
- Vienna Convention: ratification (3 Aug 1994)
- Montreal Protocol: ratification (6 Sept 1995)
- LRTAP: NA
- Energy Charter: NA
- Energy Efficiency Protocol: NA
- Espoo Convention: NA
- 2025 Commitment: 28% (35% conditional) below 2000 levels by 2025
- INDC summary - includes LULUCF and gases covered (Center for Climate and Energy Solutions 2015)
- INDC summary - includes adaptation and conditions for implementation (Climate Policy Observer 2016)
Federal Laws on Climate Change
National Plans, Programs and Initiatives
Local, State, and Regional Legislation and Initiatives
- Secretariat of the Pacific Comunity (SPC/GIZ) Coping with Climate Change in the Pacific Islands Region (CCCPIR) programme
- In 2012, the SPC/GIZ CCCPIR programme along with the SPC Global Climate Change Alliance became members in the FSM Joint Management Network (JMN), which includes all relevant government and NGO stakeholders in the field of climate change adaptation (CCA) and disaster risk management (DRM). The network is coordinating DRM/CCA activities in FSM, especially at community level, to increase coordination and avoid overlapping and duplication. Ongoing cooperation is taking place between CCCPIR and the Micronesia Conservation Trust, International Organization for Migration through the Australian government-funded Climate Adaptation, Disaster Risk Reduction, and Education programme, Rare Conservation organisation
- General description
- Pacific Adaptation to Climate Change: Federated States of Micronesia (SPREP 2006)
- Review of Current and Planned Adaptation Action: The Pacific (The Adaptation Partnership/IISD) (2011)
- IRENA report: Federated States of Micronesia (2013)
- PEIN Country Profile: Federated States of Micronesia (SPREP)
- Jon Barnett & John Campbell, Climate Change and Small Island States: Power, Knowledge, and the South Pacific, Earthscan Climate, UK 2011.
- Shyam Nath, John L. Roberts, Yeti Nisha Madhoo (Ed.), Saving Small Island Developing States: Environmental and Natural Resource Challenges, Commonwealth Secretariat, UK, 2010.
- Peter Rudiak-Gould, Climate Change and Tradition in a Small Island State: The Rising Tide, Routledge, 2013.
Summaries of legislation compiled from Nachmany, M., et al. 2014. “The GLOBE Climate Legislation Study: A Review of Climate Change Legislation in 66 Countries. Fourth Edition.” London: GLOBE International and the Grantham Research Institute, London School of Economics.
Updated as of: April 1, 2016