Climate Change Laws of Puerto Rico
SCCCL thanks Mr. Edil Sepulveda for his assistance in preparing this summary.
1) Status under International Climate Change Law
2) Puerto Rico's Laws on Climate Change
A) Air Protection:
- Selling of CFC’s Act [12 L.P.R.A. §1330-1330(d)]
- Green Building Act [22 L.P.R.A. §1021–1026]
- Net Metering Program Act [22 L.P.R.A. §1012-1018]
- Public Policy on Energy Diversification by Means of Sustainable and Alternative Renewable Energy in Puerto Rico Act [12 L.P.R.A. §8121–8136]
- Note: Repealed the Act to Set Forth the Public Policy on Global Warming in Puerto Rico [Act No. 246 of August 10, 2008]
- Light Pollution Control and Prevention Program Act [12 L.P.R.A. §8031-8038]
- Renewable Energy Development Act [12 L.P.R.A. §416-417]
- Unification of State Forests Act [12 L.P.R.A. §135–140]
D) Environmental Impact Assessment:
- Act for the Protection, Conservation and Management of the Coral Reefs in Puerto Rico [12 L.P.R.A. §241-241(g)]
- Puerto Rico Solid Waste Reduction and Recycling Act [12 L.P.R.A. §1320-1320(u)]
- Sustainable Development Public Policy Act [23 L.P.R.A. §501-508]
- Puerto Rico Sustainable Tourism Development Public Policy Act [23 L.P.R.A. §6313-6325]
3) Secondary Sources
E. Kronk, Effective Access to Justice: Applying the Parens Patriae Standing Doctrine to Climate Change-Related Claims Brought by Native Nations, 32 Pub. Land & Resources L. Rev. 1, 2011.
T. Douthat, “Puerto Rico, You Lovely Island…Puerto Rico, You Ugly Island”: Combating Criollo Sprawl—The Puerto Rico Land Use Plan and Transect—Based Zoning as a Solution to the Island’s Land Use Problems, 76 Rev. Jur. U.P.R. 441, 2007.