Sabin Center for
Climate Change Law
SCCCL develops legal techniques to fight climate change, trains students and lawyers in their use, and provides up-to-date resources on key topics in climate law and regulation.
Latest from the Center
The Sabin Center in Lima
Associate Director Jenny Klein and former Associate Director Meredith Wilensky are attending the 2014 UN Climate Change Conference (COP-20) and providing a first hand account of the negotiations.
The Sabin Center in Lima: Associate Director Jenny Klein and former Associate Director Meredith Wilensky at COP-20
• Visit the Center's Climate Law Blog for their coverage of the conference and side events:
• Lima Report: Thursday, 12/3 & Friday 12/4
• Lima Report: Wednesday, 12/3
• Shipping emissions issues make an appearance at Lima negotiations
• Lima Report: Tuesday, 12/2
• Lima Report: Monday, 12/1
• The Sabin Center is also working with the Legal Response Initiative (LRI) to connect delegates from least developed countries (LDCs) with experts from around the world who can answer their questions about COP-20.
• Learn more about the Center's collaboration with LRI.
• Sabin Center submits comments on energy efficiency components of EPA's Proposed Clean Power Plan
• 50-State Survey of State Climate Laws Posted as Supplement to Gerrard/Freeman Text
• "A Pacific Isle, Radioactive and Forgotten," New York Times, December 3, 2014
• "Should Universities and Pension Funds Divest from Fossil Fuel Stocks?" Video of program available
• Associate Director Jennifer Klein gave a presentation on Potential Claims against Municipalities Associated with Climate Change as part of a webinar hosted by the Great Lakes and St. Lawrence Cities Initiative.
• "New Statute Requires State Agencies to Consider Climate Risks," New York Law Journal, November 13, 2014
• Flag State Regulation of Greenhouse Gas Emissions, by Alyssa Kutner and Meredith Wilensky (November 2014)
• Sabin Center Celebrates New Era of Environmental Leadership
• "New York Environmental Impact Statements Beginning to Address Climate Resiliency" by Ethan Strell, October 2014. Reprinted from Environmental Law in New York with permission. Copyright 2014 Matthew Bender & Company, Inc., a LexisNexis company. All rights reserved.
• Applications invited for Fellowship in Climate Change Law
• New Working Paper: "Legal and Scientific Integrity in Advancing a 'Land Degradation Neutral World'," by Shelley Welton, Michela Biasutti and Michael Gerrard
• Columbia Law School Organizes Powerful Slate of Events Around U.N. Climate Summit
• Michael Burger '03 named new Executive Director of SCCCL
• "Legal Challenges to Obama Administration’s Clean Power Plan," New York Law Journal, September 11, 2014
• "Solving the CSO Conundrum: Green Infrastructure and the Unfulfilled Promise of Federal-Municipal Cooperation"
• Andrew Sabin Family Foundation Donates $3.5 Million to Bolster Our Work; We’re Renamed Sabin Center for Climate Change Law
• Wall Street Journal Highlights Sabin Gift
• New Report: Potential Liability for Climate-Related Measures Under the Trans-Pacific Partnership, by Meredith Wilensky (August 7, 2014)
• Columbia Law School Establishes David Sive Memorial Fund with Gift from Sive, Paget & Riesel; Center for Climate Change Law Will Administer the Fund, Which Will Be Used to Support Environmental Law Lectures and Events
• ABA publishes second edition of Michael Gerrard’s GLOBAL CLIMATE CHANGE AND U.S. LAW
• Former visiting scholar Sam Nierop's research on "Envisioning resilient electrical infrastructure: A policy framework for incorporating future climate change into electricity sector planning," was published in Environmental Science and Policy (May 2014)
More publications are available here. Materials from past events are available here.
Please check back from future events
Sign Up for Publications & Litigation Chart Updates
For SCCCL publications and blog updates, click HERE
For climate change litigation chart updates, click HERE