Apply to the Associates-in-Law Program
The Law School hires three to five new associates each year. Applications may be submitted starting Sept. 17, 2012 and preferably before Nov. 16, 2012, and will be considered on a rolling basis.
Applicants must complete and submit an online application and upload the following documents (in PDF format):
- Cover letter: If you wish to pursue graduate legal studies (LL.M. or J.S.D.) while serving as an associate, please so note in your cover letter;
- Curriculum vitae;
- Research and teaching agenda, which should discuss in detail the academic projects you plan to undertake as an associate, as well as any relevant teaching experience;
- Scholarly writing sample that demonstrates your writing and analytical abilities, as well as your ability to generate interesting, original ideas;
- Up to three letters of recommendation, of which at least two must be from professors who can comment specifically on your scholarly potential, proposed research projects, and teaching experience; and
- Official transcripts from all law schools attended.
While we strongly prefer that you submit all supporting documents electronically, we understand that some recommenders may prefer to submit their letters directly to Columbia Law School. In this case, please list the recommender’s name and institution on your application and ask the recommender to submit the letter by email to email@example.com or by mail to:
Office of Graduate Legal Studies
Columbia Law School
435 West 116th Street, MC 4036
New York, N.Y. 10027
Reach us by email at firstname.lastname@example.org for any additional information.