Detailed Visiting Application Checklist
Visiting applicants must apply online through LSAC (www.lsac.org).
- Application Form
- Personal statement/essay regarding why the applicant is seeking visiting student status at Columbia Law School.
- Minimum of two letters of recommendation from law professors.
- Letter from the dean of the law school from which the applicant is visiting, or his or her delegate, characterizing the applicant's law school standing, approving the applicant’s visit at Columbia Law School, and specifying the minimum number of credits required during the visit.
- Dean’s appraisal(s)/Certification(s) from the Dean or administrative officer responsible for student affairs at any undergraduate, graduate, or professional institution(s) at which you matriculated toward a degree.
- Official transcript documenting all first- and second-year coursework undertaken at the applicant’s former law school. If submitted through the CAS Report, applicants should also send an explanation key to transcripts to the Office of Admissions.
- CAS Report. All applicants must register for the Law School Credential Assembly Service (CAS) for us to access undergraduate and/or prior graduate degree transcripts. For more information about CAS, please call 215.968.1001 or visit www.lsac.org. Applicants may submit their current law school transcripts either through CAS or directly from their school's registrar's office. If submitting law school transcripts through CAS, the applicant must also forward an official explanation of the current grading system. Please forward updates of your transcripts to the Office of Admissions as soon as they become available.
- Application fee ($85), payable to “Columbia University.”